Monday, October 4, 2010

Airports Review 10/04/10

Well since I had a rather full trip for my extended weekend in Arizona, I thought I'd put down some of my thoughts.

First, we'll go over my reviews of the following airports - Sky Harbor, Phoenix AZ.; Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN; Memphis, TN and finally my now-home-port of Louisville, KY.

We'll go opposite of my list and start with Louisville.

-)Very nice, petite and easy to navigate. I did not get a chance to mess with their internet capabilities, but since I did not see any signage, I'll assume that they offer the Boingo wireless option. Boingo is, in my opinion, over priced and probably not used often. I'm not hardcore enough of a traveler to subscribe to their $9.99/mo services. I am, however, hardcore enough to know how to use my phone to hook my laptop up to the internet. Put a nice little star next to my minor tech nerd title for that one!

Next would be my 2nd airport destination on my weekend journey... Minneapolis/Saint Paul.

-)Ever heard the phrase "Too much is not always a good thing"? Yeah, Min/STP is that phrase in technicolor. It's basically a mall, a really big mall. High end stores abound, it took me about 10 minutes to cross not even half the airport to get to my connection flight. There are almost too many coffee options (which I did not go with my standard Starbucks, but decided to indulge in a rare option for me of Caribou Coffee - yum) and twice as many food options. Moreover, after all this muchness offered to the spending gods and goddesses of the world, they charge you for their internet usage. Really? REALLY? You're a destination airport and you don't offer complimentary wireless? Min/STP I am disappointed in you...

3rd airport and destination city of my trip, Phoenix/Sky Harbor!

-)Now I'll be the first to admit that the maze Phx/SH claims to be their roadways around the airport are simply pathetic in their complexity and random twists, turns and cut offs. You consider yourself lucky just surviving the trip in/out let alone giving you time to consider the horrors of flight (turbulence anyone? Gotta love that moment of the feeling of free-falling). However, being a moderate sized airport Phx/SH won my heart on this trip mainly on the fact that I did not have to waste battery power hooking my phone up to my computer for internet. Sky Harbor is one of the few airports I've been to now that offer free wifi! Go Phoenix! You're leading the way on airports that make my nerd genes happy! Moreover, Phoenix offers quite a nice variety on dining and shopping options - just not like Min/STP!

Finally, my 4th airport and honestly the most eclectic, Memphis.

-)You certainly do not doubt the fact that TN is a BBQ State the moment you step off the plane at Memphis Airport... No, I'm pretty sure the smell smacks you in the fact the moment you leave the gangplank from the plane! Tiny, cramped and alas, no free wifi (boingo anyone?) the only redeeming factor of this airport is the lovely smell of massacred pork and beef cooking happily along and filling you senses with that glorious "yum" feeling. Moreover, they have an Elvis shop in house! Granted... It was disappointingly small; c'mon Memphis, he's your Prince, right? Tisk tisk.

I will say that the people I was forced into close quarters with this weekend were very pleasant and not stuffy in the least. Mostly of the younger generation, they were rather amusing to eavesdrop on (hey! CLOSE QUARTERS! Hard not to listen in).

The trip itself was quite worth my shaken nerves (hate flying) and the long weekend away from my husband. I got to see people I haven't seen in a little over a year! It was wonderful staying with Jessi and her family, seeing Leah and her daughter, long talks with Heather, Sushi with Ashley, Kim and Stephy, lunch with Maggie, Matt and a quick appearance of Bonnie, and the two days spent with the boys (Jack, Shaun, and Richard[?]) eating dinner and general minor tomfoolery.

All in all I would say this weekend was a success. One that has recharged me and reminded me that no matter what, I have good friends in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment