Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Truth In Starting New

You know, it really is true what they say about how you find out what you're really like when you move and have few influences around you. I always thought my love for vintage looks and the neo-vintage tattoo pin up look was an influence of my surroundings (i.e. lots of friends who were into that genre of looks)... But, now that I'm forced to entertain myself and think of things I like free of the influence of others (Tor doesn't count... I could be wearing a burlap bag and he'd have about the same amount of fashion input) I've discovered that I truly do enjoy the vintage/tattoo pin up look.

The past few days I've been practicing doing "old hollywood" make up, and become quite successful in it. Now the real challenge... The hairstyles. I've botched reverse victory rolls about 20 times now... And it's not getting any easier. I think I need to dedicate an entire free day to developing my strategy for the hairstyle... In other words, it will take a lot of pre-curling, hairspray and mousse - I think... I hope. I am focused on figuring out how to master the hairstyle.

On to the tattoo focus of my newly discovered solo fascination... I've completed the idea I've been working on for year concerning a half sleeve tattoo. That's right! It's actually a full blown visual concept now, versus just being a random idea that I happened to like - a lot. Basically I have it down completely what I want. Now it's just the when factor... After the wedding on September 4th. A lot of my family are not exactly tattoo friendly and I would like to avoid undo conflict on that day. Moreover, we won't have any free pocket change around to dedicate to such an undertaking. It will be about $1,500 to complete, maybe a little less, but I highly doubt that.

It's funny, Tor's completly tattoo free but is so excited for my tattoo ideas. I know he wants at least one tattoo, but he's not borderline fanatical about it - like me. It's comforting to me that he listens to my ideas and offers his own input. He's very insightful when he wants to be and it helps to get another perspective (just fyi, his input on my half sleeve was "that's going to be so badass").

Over all I'm adjusting to this entire move better than I could have hoped. I don't feel out of place, I feel like this is all so natural. I don't have many friends, just a few wives that I communicate with via a fort knox spousal forum... One I will meet in person probably fairly soon. One of my co-workers has also become a good aquaintance of mine, she goes on base a lot with her little sister to the waterpark there. She's funny, very perky and very good natured. She's about my age (not sure exact age) and someone I could hang out with on a regular basis.

With that being said though... I miss my friends back in Mesa. I miss Jessi, Leah and everyone else. I miss being bored and being able to walk over to Ashlee's to entertain myself. I guess a little missing (or a lot) is normal in this situation. It just makes them coming to visit or me going home to visit that much better. Oh, and I miss driving down to Yuma to see Heather and Logan! They weren't close before, but they weren't a 20 hour drive away either!!! 3 hours seems so much better now...

I really don't have much else to say, so I'll end it at that.

Peace out cubscouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment